Wednesday

- Airplane Romance Songs! (These Foolish Things & I Get A Kick Out Of You!) (Lyrics)


LYRICS TO BOTH SONGS:

A cigarette* that bears a lipstick's traces
An airline ticket to romantic places
And still my heart has wings
These foolish things remind me of you!

A tinkling piano in the next apartment
Those stumbling words that told you what my heart meant
A fair ground's painted swings
These foolish things remind me of you!

You came, you saw and you conquered me
When you did that to me
I knew somehow this had to be!

The winds of March that make my heart a dancer
A telephone that rings, but who's to answer?
Oh, how the ghost of you clings
These foolish things remind me of you!

The scent of smoldering leaves, the wail of steamers
Two lovers on the street who walk like dreamers
Oh, how the ghost of you clings
These foolish things remind me of you!

How strange how sweet to find you still
These things are dear to me
They seem to bring you so near to me!

The sigh of midnight trains in empty stations
Silk stockings thrown aside, dance invitations
Oh, how the ghost of you clings
These foolish things remind me of you!

Remind me of you!
Remind me of you!

*Not good for a long lasting romance.

+++

I get no kick from champagne
Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all
So tell me why should it be true
That I get a kick out of you!

I get a kick every time I see you standing there before me
I get a kick though it's clear to me that you obviously do not adore me

I get no kick in a plane
Flying too high with some gal in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick out of you

I get no kick from champagne
Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all
So tell me why should it be true
That I get a kick out of you!

I get a kick every time I see you standing there before me
I get a kick though it's clear to me that you obviously do not adore me

I get no kick in a plane
Flying too high with some gal in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick
She gives me a boot
I get a kick out of you!

+++

"I Get a Kick out of You" is a song by Cole Porter, which was first sung in the 1934 Broadway musical Anything Goes, and then in the 1936 film version. Originally sung by Ethel Merman, it has been covered by dozens of prominent performers, including Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald.

+++

"These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You)" is a standard with lyrics by Eric Maschwitz and music by Jack Strachey, both Englishmen. Harry Link, an American, sometimes appears as a co-writer; his input is probably limited to an alternative "middle eight" (bridge) which many performers prefer.

+++

GOOGLE INFO:

These Foolish Things - Les Baxter Orchestra
0:01 - 2:14 

These Foolish Things - Paul Weston & His Orchestra
2:21 - 5:32 

I Get a Kick Out of You - Percy Faith
5:38 - 8:37 

Also: Norman Luboff Choir

+++

I will never forget that flight to Dallas. By the grace of God we not only averted certain disaster, but also received a rich welcome out of the storm. Such is Paul's point in Romans 1-8. The storm clouds are blackest, and our outlook bleakest, in the first three chapters of this great letter. All men-and that includes you and me-are justly condemned for our own sin in Romans 1:18-3:20. We are condemned for our sexual perversions, malice, deceit, hostility, envy, murder, folly, disobedience to parents, insolence, arrogance, lust, slander, and gossiping. The bottom line, Paul argues, is that there is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God; together we have turned aside and become debased (cf. 3:9-20). In short, Romans 1:18-3:20 is about the wrath of God justly unleashed against unrepentant sinners who turn their backs on him and his rule, and who prefer instead their own debauchery or self-made righteousness. These chapters depict a storm brewing at the present time, which itself anticipates a final, catastrophic tempest of the wildest proportions!

But, beginning in Romans 3:21 and stretching until 8:39, we find ourselves above the impending doom, lifted there, I might add, not by our own "wings," but by the wings of God's grace. It's fresh blue sky up there; you can see for miles around. Even what clouds do exist are a serene white; there is no darkness in them. The blue expanse declares the beauty and infinite supply of God's riches. There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (8:1-2). Righteousness reigns because grace abounds through the indwelling Holy Spirit (8:1-17). Mercy is plentiful because God's love has been freely unleashed. Reconciliation on all levels is in abundant supply because rebel sons and daughters have been reconciled with their Creator and Father. It's all about "Livin' Large"! It's beautiful blue skies as far as the eye can see. God has come to make his home with us and we shall never be separated from him again (Rom 8:38-39).

Christ is the One, of course, who has stilled the storm of God's fury, paying with his own life the penalty due our sins by his sacrificial death on the cross (Romans 3:21-26).

No comments:

Google+ Badge